Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Replace Glass In Larson Storm Door



I have the door that has the retractable screen on the top sash .The bottom glass doesn't move. Both top and bottom glass has been broken and I need to take the sashes from both to have the glass replaced.
How do I remove them from the door?
I have read the installation instructions on the Larson website and it shows a finger pull that is used to release the glass but there is not a finger pull on my door that I can find.
Are these doors made so that the whole door has to be replaced if the glass breaks?

No, there is a method. What model number do you have?
You will probably get better info by calling Larson with the Reg# thats on the sticker. Thats a relatively new door.
Might be cheaper to actually order new panels, depends on where you live.

The model number is 346-60. This door was made in 2002.

Terry,
I'm familiar with that door, but not enough to advise you on removing the panels. I know how the Andersen version works, but I'd hate to tell you wrong. Unless someone else comes on with better knowledge, I'd still suggest calling Larson. They may need your Registration number as well. It is normally on a sticker on the frame of the door itself. If you have a Lowes nearby, they may have someone who could help you. Esp if they have the same door or similar on display.
Sorry, wish I had an answer.

Larson's toll free number is 800-334-1328

I sent them an email and they responded with an order form and these windows are $48 each. I was wanting to replace the glass at a local glass shop.
I also called Larson and they say that when you remove the glass, there are clips that break when you take the sash out of the door so that you have to order from them to get the special clips to replace the windows.
I guess I could give it away on FreeCycle.

most of these doors have the same setup. i say it's definitely fixable but you need to find a glass shop that is really helpful and knowledgable with alot of spare window parts laying around (like my glass shop!)
even if the shop you take it to doesn't have the exact same corner clips they should have some that will work just as well. the corner pieces that they said will break are most likely a common piece that a glass shop would have (they might not necessarily break).
it sounds to me like you just need to find a good glass shop that is good at fixing things without having to order a whole new one like alot of shops will tell you.

Thanks for trying to help. I think I will call a window installer I know who may know a glass shop that can help me. Lowes may have someone who knows about the clips. I never would have thought of that on my own and thats why I come here for help. Thanks again. If I find a solution, I'll come back and let you know.






Tags: replace, glass, larson, door, glass shop, door that, glass shop that, shop that, bottom glass, calling Larson