Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Handle A Dog Bite On The Arm







Max loves the snow .... and my arm!


Dog bites are painful and need to be handled immediately after they happen. I have received three bites over the last year or so. (Yes from the same dog - mine and he is still alive!) I offer some helpful tips which have served me well as I still have and use ALL of my limbs.


Instructions


1. In my case, my dog has only bitten me because I stepped on his tail, disturbed his very sound sleep or attempted to stop him from biting another dog, usually in a confined area.


2. After having just been bitten it is extremely important you clean the bite with DIAL SOAP. Don't use any other soap, use DIAL. It is the only soap that has ingredients that favor a new bite. Use this soap repeatedly on the wound over the next 1 - 2 weeks. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.


3. Get yourself some large pieces of gauze and apply a couple of layers over the bite. Apply the gauze LOOSELY. Add a salve type medicine - Neosporine works great - to the gauze before applying the gauze to skin. Do not tape it down tightly. It must remain loose and allow the wound to drain.


4. You must replace the gauze every 4 - 6 hours if possible. Carefully pull it off making sure it is not sticking to the wound. Throw away.


5. In my case, my arm drained for weeks and rest assured, every drop of the infection which causes the swelling needs to get out of your body. Expect excess drainage - that's good!


6. Your bite may require stitches. In my case I didn't want any. So I just protected and nursed my wound back to normal. There is a little scar that may or may have not been there if I had had stitches.


7. Certainly it never hurts to see a Doctor, but he will more than likely tell you the same thing I did. Suit yourself.

Tags: